Skip to main content

Fake Housing Advert, Woman Duped of £1,000

Fake housing advertisement on Facebook left woman penniless.

A woman who was duped out of £1,000 by a fake property advert on Facebook has warned househunters to be extra vigilant before handing over any cash.

Sasha, 60, said the scam left her penniless after she tried to find a property for her son in Stoke-on-Trent.

Action Fraud said more than 4,300 people have reported being conned out of a total of £6.4m through rental scams - many online - since January.

"I felt physically sick when the penny dropped," she said.

It is thought that lockdown also contributed to the number of people being duped because many househunters could only view properties virtually.

Sasha, not her real name, is on disability benefits and borrowed money to find her son somewhere to live after splitting from his girlfriend.

She spotted what looked like a suitable home being advertised on Facebook, but the "agent" told her the landlord was away and if she wanted it quickly, she could have a look through the windows.

She did - and it matched the photographs she had already seen. A contract was sent to her, which was company branded, and friends and family she asked to cast their eye over it agreed it appeared legitimate.

Sasha paid a deposit and one month's rent in two instalments, borrowing more money to secure the house.

"I was told to send £450 and the keys would be posted to me by courier next day delivery," she said.

"But when the keys didn't arrive, I was told they'd been sent to the wrong address but would be sent again."

After a few phone calls and messages between them, she handed over more money but soon realised things did not seem right.

She even confronted the man posing to be the landlord.

"'I am a man of my word', he told me. And now his phone number no longer works," she said.

"I was absolutely broken," said Sasha, who was forced to get help from a foodbank so she could eat.

"I had no idea how I was ever going to pay the money back - £1,000 had just gone."

After months of turmoil, Sasha's bank agreed to pay the money via its fraud department.

DC Rob Hadgett of Staffordshire Police advised anyone who experiences fraud to contact the police and Action Fraud.

"Taking steps such as visiting the property you intend to rent or checking that the owner is on an approved accommodation list, will help protect yourself from this type of fraud," he said.

Is it safe to rent off Facebook?

Here are some things to consider first:

1. Avoid putting a plea asking people to contact you.

2. If you can, use an agent or landlord who has been recommended.

3. If you do find one, do it via a trusted agent or rental website.

4. Don't pay any money without seeing the property first alongside the landlord or agent.

Picture credit: Guardian Nigeria (image for illustration only, not related to the story), Culled: BBC.com 

"Valuable lesson to be learnt from Sasha's unfortunate experience. " Let's be vigilant. 

Comments

  1. So sad😢. Losing money to online scammers can be very annoying. We all need to verify and check properly especially online transactions via Facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Type your comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Wins Big In Governor Nyesom Wike's Local Government Area

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu, has won the Obio-Akpor, the Local Government Area of Governor Nyesom Wike in Rivers State by a landslide. Tinubu polled 80,239 votes to defeat the Candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, who came a distant second with 3,829 and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), who got 368 votes.

N1.15bn Vehicles Purchase For Niger Republic-The Federal Government Gives Reasons

The Federal Government, on Wednesday, defends the disbursement of N1.15bn for the purchase of 10 SUVs for the Republic of Niger, saying that the move is to enable the country to safeguard its territory in the best interest of Nigeria’s security. The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed, said it was not the first time Nigeria is supporting her neighbours. She asserted that the President had a responsibility to make such decisions “in the best interests of the country.” She said this while answering questions from State House Correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari. According to the Minister;  “Let me just say that, over time, Nigeria has had to support its neighbours, especially immediate neighbours, to enhance their capacity to secure their countries as it relates to us. “This is not the first time that Nigeria has supported Niger, Cameroon or Chad, and the President makes an assessment as to what i...

Hushpuppi Gets 11-Year Jail Term

Ramon Abbas popularly referred to as  ‘HUSHPUPPI,' has been sentenced to 11 years in prison in the United States. The instagram 'big boy,' will however, spend nine years in prison because he had spent two years already in the US following his arrest in Dubai in 2020. In June 2020, Hushpuppi was arrested in Dubai over an extensive fraud scheme that has robbed victims of their money in the U.S, Qatar, the United Kingdom, and other places. In a final appeal to judge Otis Wright ahead of his scheduled sentencing on September 19, Hushpuppi wrote a personal letter to the court narrating his source of wealth, criminal adventure and regrets. Abbas, apologised to his family members for bringing them shame while commending the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for doing a thorough job in bringing him to justice.