Skip to main content

Nigerian Government Probes Dirty Fuel As Fresh N300m Litres Of PMS Arrives To Assist Scarcity.

300m litres of PMS arrive Lagos, FG begins probe of dirty fuel

After five days of agony, with many drivers across the country struggling to fill their tanks, respite seems to be on the way for motorists. Already, two vessels have arrived at Lagos ports, waiting to discharge Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), known as petrol, The Guardian gathered yesterday.

The vessels, as stated in the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) publication, Shipping Position, arrived on Tuesday at ASPM jetty Ijora and yesterday at Pinnacle jetty, Apapa.

The document noted that two other ships arrived along with the PMS-laden vessels with salt and containers and have started discharging at the ports.

The document further noted that 18 ships laden with other products are expected to arrive in the country from February 10 to 22. The expected ships contain wheat, fish, sugar, gas, container and cargo.

This corroborated the assurances of the Federal Government, which through the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), said, yesterday, that at least six vessels were ordered by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited had arrived in the country.

The Chief Executive Officer, NMDPRA, Farouk Ahmed, said the vessels came in with 300 million litres of petrol meant to close the gap created by the adulterated petrol withdrawn from depots and filling stations.

The regulator had on Tuesday said the limited quantity of PMS with methanol quantities above Nigeria’s specification was discovered in the supply chain.

Ahmed, ahead of a meeting with industry stakeholders in Lagos, said the regulator had been able to work with the technical team that included the Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria (MOMAN), NNPC and the Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) to address the issue......

HOWEVER, the Federal Government has vowed to carry out an in-depth investigation into the circumstances surrounding the circulation of adulterated petrol in the country. Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, who briefed newsmen after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) in Abuja, yesterday, said steps were already being taken to address the situation.

Petrol diluted with methanol has been circulated in the country, giving motorists great concerns, even as they lament the damaging effects of the adulterated product on their vehicle engines.

Sylvia said he had met with President Muhammadu Buhari, on Tuesday, over the situation, confirming there are issues needing attention.

Asked whether the culprits behind the importation of the dangerous fuel had been found or if there would be sanctions meted out to them when they are identified, Sylva said: “The issue did not come up in Council, but of course, you will recall I was here yesterday to brief Mr. President on the issue. I’m not in a position to disclose the identities of the companies, but there are some issues and we are actively tackling them.

“I will also convey your question to NNPC and maybe NMDPRA, but we’re actively handling it and I want to assure you that the problem will be a thing of the past very soon,” he said.

On whether culprits would be blacklisted or victims compensated, the Minister said: “I didn’t expect you to rush to any conclusions, there’ll be a major investigation to unravel everything and then let’s really get to the bottom of it before we can come back and tell you what is going to happen to the culprits.

"We know that some people’s vehicles must have also been damaged, that is also going to be taken into consideration in dealing with the situation,” he assured.

Source:The Guardian



Comments

Post a Comment

Type your comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Wins Big In Governor Nyesom Wike's Local Government Area

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu, has won the Obio-Akpor, the Local Government Area of Governor Nyesom Wike in Rivers State by a landslide. Tinubu polled 80,239 votes to defeat the Candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, who came a distant second with 3,829 and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), who got 368 votes.

Kaduna-Abuja Train Attack: I Said No To Terrorists Commnader’s Marriage Proposal – Azurfa Lois John

Tukur Mamu, a negotiator of victims held hostage and the Publisher of Desert Herald, had on August 20, 2022 raised an alarm that the terrorists’ commander had fallen in love with the 21-year- Azurfa Lois John, a victim of the train attack.  In an interview with newsmen on Tuesday, Azurfa Lois John, who was among the 23 released Abuja-Kaduna train victims, said the terrorists’ commander proposed to marry her but she rejected the offer. She said, “Yes, it is true that one of the terrorist commanders picked and proposed to marry me but it was just an offer and I rejected it. "I was not the only one the terrorists offered to marry. They would just ask you, I want to marry you, I want to keep you and I want you to change your religion and convert to my religion. So, it is left for you to either agree or reject,” she said. According to her, from the scene of the attack, “I saw that the train just derailed, the terrorists entered the train, they started shooting sporadically and they ask...

In a Flash- Nigerian News Dailies

THISDAY   Ekiti PDP Aspirants Protest against Fayose, Want Congress Annulled Chukwuka Monye Steps Down as Managing Partner of Ciuci Consulting Matawalle: Banditry Not Ending in Zamfara Any Time Soon THISDAY Reorganises Editorial Board, Appoints Adio, Jega Contributing Editors PDP Govs Want National Assembly to Quickly Rework Electoral Bill and Return for Assent Oil Price Soars to Seven-year High, Surges Near $87pb