Skip to main content

Angelina Jolie Set To Visit Pakistan’s Flood Ravaged Areas


Hollywood Super star, Angelina Jolie, the actress, film maker and humanitarian is set to visit Pakistan. The country is hit by a ravaging flood.

Sherry Rehman, Pakistan’s minister for climate change, described the situation as; 

“The worst humanitarian disaster of this decade” and has called for urgent international help in providing “food, tents and medicines.”

The International the International Rescue Committee (IRC) released a statement on Monday, confirming that Jolie will visit the flood-ravaged Pakistan.

Her trip is intended to draw international attention to the country’s unfolding crisis. 

The country’s Government has already declared it a humanitarian disaster. The lives of more than 1,500 people have been lost to flooding and  the flood is impacting on an estimated 33 million more. It is affecting crops and livestock, washing away homes, bridges, roads and railways. 

A third of the country’s land, has so far being affected by the flooding. The lands have given way and are now submerged by the flood. 

The flood is as a result of record monsoon rains and melting glaciers in Pakistan’s northern mountain regions.

Authorities are afraid of an impending widespread occurrence of infectious diseases such as cholera and dengue. They stipulate that for the flood waters to recede in the country’s hardest-hit areas, it could take up to six months.

According to UNICEF, "The severe flooding has left an estimated 3.4 million children in need of “immediate, lifesaving support." The children are vulnerable to contracting water-borne diseases, including dengue fever and malaria.

Jolie “is visiting to witness and gain understanding of the situation, and to hear from people affected directly about their needs, and about steps to prevent such suffering in the future,” the statement said.

She will visit the IRC’s response operations and local organizations that are assisting displaced people, it added.

It is unclear whether Jolie has arrived in Pakistan, or how long the trip is expected to last.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prince Charles, Prince Of Wales, Reportedly Accepted Suitcase With 1 Million Euros From Qatari Sheikh

A British newspaper, the Sunday Times, reported the Prince of Wales once accepted a suitcase containing €1 million ($1.05 million) in cash from a Qatari politician. The paper says this was one of three cash donations from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim totalling three million euros. The suitcase containing €1 million in cash was one of three lots of cash he personally received, totaling €3 million, from former Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani between 2011 and 2015.  The Sunday Times reported on one occasion, Sheikh Hamad gave Prince Charles €1 million reportedly stuffed into carrier bags from the upmarket London department store, Fortnum and Mason. On another occasion, Prince Charles accepted a duffel bag containing €1 million during a private one-on-one meeting at Clarence House in 2015, the Sunday Times reports. The Sunday Times reports the payments were deposited into the accounts of the Prince of Wales's Charitable Fund (PWCF), an entity that bankrolls ...

Travis Barker- Reason For His Hospitalization Is Disclosed: He Suffers Pancreatitis

TMZ came out with a rushed report on Travis Baker's condition, says Marca News. According to TMZ, Travis Barker who is at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, was taken to the hospital with pancreatitis and doctors believe it was caused by a colonoscopy he recently got. However, they got the facts wrong because the colon is in no way connected to the pancreas. The procedure that probably got Travis hospitalized is called a cholecystectomy, which is a similar endoscopic procedure to detect problems with the pancreas.  We asked a medical professional about this and this is what they confirmed, that Travis Barker possibly suffers gallstone pancreatitis. News Source:  Marca