Skip to main content

United States To Return $23 Million Looted Funds To Nigeria


The United States will turn over to Nigeria $23 million taken by former military ruler Sani Abacha, officials said at an event to sign the agreement on Tuesday, CNN reports.

Nigeria has reached several agreements to return stolen cash in recent years. Abacha ruled Africa's most populous nation and top oil exporter from 1993 until his death in 1998, during which time Transparency International estimated that he took up to $5 billion of public money. He was never charged.

US Ambassador Mary Beth Leonard said the cash was in UK accounts but was identified and frozen by US officials. She added that including the latest deal, the United States had agreed to repatriate more than $334.7 million linked to Abacha.

Attorney General Abubakar Malami said the funds would be used for infrastructure projects, including the Abuja-Kano road, the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, and the second Niger bridge under the supervision of the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA).

"The president's mandate to my office is to ensure that all international recoveries are transparently invested and monitored by civil society organizations to compete for these three projects within the agreed timeline," Malami.

The US Justice Department has previously said that Nigeria must use money repatriated from funds looted by Abacha on agreed public projects or be forced to "replace" it.

In the past, Nigeria had secured the release of millions of dollars stashed in foreign accounts by the former dictator.

In 2017, the Swiss government released a statement announcing it had reached an agreement with Nigerian authorities and the World Bank on the return of $321 million to the West African country.

The released funds "will strengthen social security for the poorest sections of the Nigerian population," the statement said at the time.

In 2019, authorities in Jersey said they had seized more than $267 million from Abacha's family and associates. The laundered funds recovered from confiscated assets, belonging to the son of the late dictator, Mohammed Abacha, were found in a Channel Islands account held by a shell company.

The stolen funds were recovered and paid into a special recovery fund after a five-year legal battle and were agreed to be shared between the Nigerian government, Jersey, and the US government.

News Source CNN:CNN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prince Charles, Prince Of Wales, Reportedly Accepted Suitcase With 1 Million Euros From Qatari Sheikh

A British newspaper, the Sunday Times, reported the Prince of Wales once accepted a suitcase containing €1 million ($1.05 million) in cash from a Qatari politician. The paper says this was one of three cash donations from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim totalling three million euros. The suitcase containing €1 million in cash was one of three lots of cash he personally received, totaling €3 million, from former Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani between 2011 and 2015.  The Sunday Times reported on one occasion, Sheikh Hamad gave Prince Charles €1 million reportedly stuffed into carrier bags from the upmarket London department store, Fortnum and Mason. On another occasion, Prince Charles accepted a duffel bag containing €1 million during a private one-on-one meeting at Clarence House in 2015, the Sunday Times reports. The Sunday Times reports the payments were deposited into the accounts of the Prince of Wales's Charitable Fund (PWCF), an entity that bankrolls ...

Travis Barker- Reason For His Hospitalization Is Disclosed: He Suffers Pancreatitis

TMZ came out with a rushed report on Travis Baker's condition, says Marca News. According to TMZ, Travis Barker who is at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, was taken to the hospital with pancreatitis and doctors believe it was caused by a colonoscopy he recently got. However, they got the facts wrong because the colon is in no way connected to the pancreas. The procedure that probably got Travis hospitalized is called a cholecystectomy, which is a similar endoscopic procedure to detect problems with the pancreas.  We asked a medical professional about this and this is what they confirmed, that Travis Barker possibly suffers gallstone pancreatitis. News Source:  Marca  

Kaduna-Abuja Train Attack: I Said No To Terrorists Commnader’s Marriage Proposal – Azurfa Lois John

Tukur Mamu, a negotiator of victims held hostage and the Publisher of Desert Herald, had on August 20, 2022 raised an alarm that the terrorists’ commander had fallen in love with the 21-year- Azurfa Lois John, a victim of the train attack.  In an interview with newsmen on Tuesday, Azurfa Lois John, who was among the 23 released Abuja-Kaduna train victims, said the terrorists’ commander proposed to marry her but she rejected the offer. She said, “Yes, it is true that one of the terrorist commanders picked and proposed to marry me but it was just an offer and I rejected it. "I was not the only one the terrorists offered to marry. They would just ask you, I want to marry you, I want to keep you and I want you to change your religion and convert to my religion. So, it is left for you to either agree or reject,” she said. According to her, from the scene of the attack, “I saw that the train just derailed, the terrorists entered the train, they started shooting sporadically and they ask...