Skip to main content

Serena Williams: 23-Time Grand Slam Champion Is Retiring From Tennis


Serena Williams says she has "never liked the word retirement", but that she is "evolving away from tennis" after winning 23 Grand Slams across her iconic career; US Open could prove to be her farewell tournament.

The 23-time Grand Slam singles champion defeated Nuria Parrizas in her second appearance of the year. It happened this week at the National Bank Open in Toronto, Canada.

She acknowledged, she was "getting close to the light at the end of the tunnel" with regards to her remarkable career.

She further validated that statement with an article in Vogue Magazine.

"I have never liked the word retirement," Williams wrote in Vogue. "It doesn't feel like a modern word to me. I've been thinking of this as a transition but I want to be sensitive about how I use that word, which means something very specific and important to a community of people.

"Maybe the best word to describe what I'm up to is evolution. I'm here to tell you that I'm evolving away from tennis, toward other things that are important to me.

"I've been reluctant to admit that I have to move on from playing tennis. It's like a taboo topic. It comes up, and I start to cry. I think the only person I've really gone there with is my therapist."

Serena Williams, recalls that she was two months pregnant with daughter Olympia when she won the Australian Open in 2017.

William pointed out that her and her husband Alexis are trying for another child and that she did not want to be pregnant as an athlete again. 




Comments

  1. We can only wish her the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl, you have achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaving while the ovation is still loud. The right thing to do!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Type your comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Wins Big In Governor Nyesom Wike's Local Government Area

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu, has won the Obio-Akpor, the Local Government Area of Governor Nyesom Wike in Rivers State by a landslide. Tinubu polled 80,239 votes to defeat the Candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, who came a distant second with 3,829 and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), who got 368 votes.

Christmas Is Here!

This article is written by 8 years old Princess Jasmin O. Obuotor. Preparing Sharwama for Christmas.  Merry Christmas! I want to tell you how to spice up your Christmas menu by adding sharwama. : Ingredients and procedures for a delicious sharwarma; So what you do first is you get your sharwarma bread and start mixing ketchup and mayonnaise together in a cup or bowl or anywhere you want to mix it. So when you are done mixing the ketchup and mayonnaise together, get your sharwarma bread and rub the mixture on the sharwarma bread. Next you get carrot and cabbage. Then you get your meat, you can either buy beef or chicken. If you like pepper, you can add hot sauce or pepper to the mix of ingredients for the sharwama and then you grate the carrot and cabbage then put it on the sharwarma bread. Next, you get out your sausage and fry it along with your chicken or beef. You can choose to either fry your beef or fry your chicken. Or boil the chicken or the beef instead of frying. ...

SOUL FOOD: THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING.

           image credit: http://shuttershock.com Is it really true that "as a man thinks in his heart so is he?"