Skip to main content

The British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson May resign

Boris Johnson may today resign as prime minister, Sky News reports.


After more than 40 resignations from all levels of government, there has been intense pressure on Boris Johnson in the past few days to resign.

A No 10 source said Johnson spoke to the chairman of the Conservative backbench 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady, and agreed to stand down.

The confirmation came shortly after Boris Johnson’s newly appointed Education Secretary, Michelle Donelan resigned.

Defence Secretary, Ben Wallace had earlier withdrawn his support for Boris after Northern Ireland Secretary, Brandon Lewis resigned from his post.

An official in Johnson's Downing Street office confirmed the prime minister would announce his resignation later. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made

Johnson had rebuffed calls by his Cabinet to step down in the wake of ethics scandals. He gave in after more than 40 ministers quit his government and told him to go.

It was not immediately clear whether Johnson would stay in office while the Conservative Party chooses a new leader, who will replace him as prime minister.

Minutes before the news broke, Treasury chief Nadhim Zahawi called on Prime Minister Boris Johnson to resign just 36 hours after Johnson put him in the job, while another newly appointed Cabinet minister quit her post.

Zahawi said Johnson knew "the right thing to do" was to "go now."

Zahawi was appointed late Tuesday to replace Rishi Sunak, who resigned saying he could no longer support Johnson after a series of ethics scandals.

Education Secretary Michelle Donelan, who was also appointed on Tuesday following the resignation of her predecessor, announced her resignation Thursday morning.

Johnson had rejected clamors for his resignation, digging in his heels even as dozens of officials quit and previously loyal allies urge him to go after yet another scandal engulfed his leadership.

Source: SkyNews, Daily Post, Marca

Marca

Comments

  1. Eyaa!!!!!! My country's president will never!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Type your comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Wins Big In Governor Nyesom Wike's Local Government Area

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu, has won the Obio-Akpor, the Local Government Area of Governor Nyesom Wike in Rivers State by a landslide. Tinubu polled 80,239 votes to defeat the Candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, who came a distant second with 3,829 and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), who got 368 votes.

Floyd Mayweather In Tears Of Joy, As He Is Inducted Into International Boxing Hall Of Fame

  Floyd Mayweather is now inducted into the Hall of Fame. At the induction ceremony, he expressed his gratitude towards his father for introducing him to boxing. After winning every belt throughout his career, the former boxer made the Hall of Fame along with legends Wladimir Klitschko and Andre Ward. The boxer could not hold back tears of joy. "I said that I wouldn't cry," Mayweather said. "This is unbelievable. This is one of the best days of my life. "I love my dad because without him this wouldn't be possible for me." Accepting the honour, Mayweather said: “I done a lot in my career, but this is by far the best,” crediting his mum, dad and sister for much of his success. “I want to thank the International Boxing Hall of Fame for giving me this. This right here is going to my dad because he deserves it. Bernard Hopkins said it best — `You’ve got to earn it.′ — and my dad earned this ring. “I want to say thank you to everybody for your support. I want...

Kaduna-Abuja Train Attack: I Said No To Terrorists Commnader’s Marriage Proposal – Azurfa Lois John

Tukur Mamu, a negotiator of victims held hostage and the Publisher of Desert Herald, had on August 20, 2022 raised an alarm that the terrorists’ commander had fallen in love with the 21-year- Azurfa Lois John, a victim of the train attack.  In an interview with newsmen on Tuesday, Azurfa Lois John, who was among the 23 released Abuja-Kaduna train victims, said the terrorists’ commander proposed to marry her but she rejected the offer. She said, “Yes, it is true that one of the terrorist commanders picked and proposed to marry me but it was just an offer and I rejected it. "I was not the only one the terrorists offered to marry. They would just ask you, I want to marry you, I want to keep you and I want you to change your religion and convert to my religion. So, it is left for you to either agree or reject,” she said. According to her, from the scene of the attack, “I saw that the train just derailed, the terrorists entered the train, they started shooting sporadically and they ask...