Skip to main content

WOW! Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini Are Acquitted On Charges Of Defrauding FIFA By Swiss Court


The case centered around a $2 million payment from FIFA to Platini with Blatter’s approval in 2011, for work done a decade earlier.

Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini were acquitted on charges of defrauding FIFA by a Swiss criminal court on Friday, a rare positive outcome for the pair who were among soccer’s most powerful figures before being embroiled in corruption investigations.

                             Sepp Blatter

The case was centered around a $2 million payment from FIFA to Platini with Blatter’s approval in 2011, for work done a decade earlier. The verdict followed an 11-day trial last month at the Federal Criminal Court of Switzerland in Bellinzona.

“Following the decision of the judges of the Court of Bellinzona, this morning, I wanted to express my happiness for all my loved ones that justice has finally been done after seven years of lies and manipulation,” Platini said in a statement. “The truth has come to light during this trial.”

"I kept saying it: my fight is a fight against injustice. I won a first game. In this case, there are culprits who did not appear during this trial. Let them count on me, we will meet again. Because I will not give up and I will go all the way in my quest for truth.”

Swiss prosecutor Thomas Hildbrand had requested a 20-month suspended sentence for both Blatter and Platini.

Blatter announced his plan in June 2015 to resign early as president, in the fallout from a sprawling American corruption investigation. Less than four months later, a separate but cooperating case by Swiss prosecutors led to the Platini payment being investigated.

The fallout removed Blatter from office but also ended Platini’s campaign to succeed his former mentor and saw the French soccer great removed as president of UEFA, the governing body of European soccer.

“Believe me, going from being a legend of world soccer to a devil is very difficult, especially when it comes to you in a totally unfair way,” Platini added.

                          Michel Platini

Both Blatter and Platini have long denied wrongdoing and claim they had a verbal deal in 1998 for Platini to get extra salary that FIFA could not pay at the time. Platini signed a contract in August 1999 to be paid 300,000 Swiss francs ($300,000) annually.

That defense first failed with judges at the FIFA ethics committee, which banned them from soccer, and later in separate appeals at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Platini finally got a legal victory in the first criminal case after losses in five civil courts, including at the European Court of Human Rights.

His ban by FIFA for unethical conduct expired in October 2021 and Friday’s verdict should clear the way for Platini to return to work in soccer.




Comments

Post a Comment

Type your comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Wins Big In Governor Nyesom Wike's Local Government Area

The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu, has won the Obio-Akpor, the Local Government Area of Governor Nyesom Wike in Rivers State by a landslide. Tinubu polled 80,239 votes to defeat the Candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, who came a distant second with 3,829 and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), who got 368 votes.

Maitama, Abuja - One Shot Dead As Suspected ‘Kidnappers’ Strike

  One person was gunned down when men suspected to be kidnappers attacked Gana Street in Maitama, Abuja. The incident is said to have occurred at about 8:46pm on Wednesday. According to the Daily Trust,  a resident, who pleaded anonymity, told Daily Trust that the victim was killed while trying to rescue a man that was being forced into a black Prado SUV by the suspected kidnappers. He specifically said the SUV was parked at Number 44 Gana street where the victim was shot in the head by one of the suspects and he died immediately. The source added that the suspects escaped with their victim while the body of the deceased was still on the street at the time of the incident. He added that this is the second incident happening at the same Gana street in the past few weeks. The resident said some persons loitering around the place may be behind the attacks. He said the boys loitering around area usually target pharmaceutical stores and supermarket in Maitama, alleging that police ...

No to bullying, cultism - Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to students

Don’t Be Afraid To Say It Out,’ Sanwo-Olu Asks Students To Report Bullies Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu takes selfies with students of Lagos State Model College, Igbokuta, Ikorodu, during the commissioning of a newly built block of classrooms, hostel, and other facilities in the school. Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has urged students in the state to promptly report any incident of bullying and not be afraid to report anyone that mistreats them. The governor while addressing the students on Friday, during the commissioning of Lagos State Model College in Igbokuta, Ikorodu stressed that bullying will not be tolerated. “The choice of school projects we are delivering is to raise the standards of our schools and ensure that you pupils learn under the most conducive environment. You must be well behaved, if there is any unusual event, don’t be afraid to say it out. We will not allow bullying in our schools. “Senior pupils are meant to support and encourage their junior ...