Skip to main content

EVERYDAY PEOPLE

Everyday People is a post that depicts life as it is for the everyday person.

The Author, Janet Odidi Obuotor

echoblog-ger.blogspot.com/

Read on....

January, is the month that makes one ponder where do I get more funds from? 

Hello, my name is Bala and this is my 'Everyday people' narrative.

As I was saying;

January bounces on you with a roll-out of the bills. 

We all know that December comes with an endless merry go round of expenditures.

This is because December ushers in a period for a beehive of activities -  ranging from the end of year parties, the Christmas celebrations and the 'joyful' additional expenses associated with the incoming New Year. 

I attribute the word 'joyful' to the expenses linked with the New Year celebration because the majority of people are extremely glad to see a New Year. 

Therefore, we go about celebrating the New Year in style. 

However, in a dash, "King January" arrives riding a horse and a cart filled with a chart of necessities.

Now, taking a careful look at these necessities, of paramount importance is the school fees for the children. 

Have you also noticed that no matter how well you plan for January, it always seems like you never planned well enough.

Despite painstakingly cutting down on my expenses for December in line with the present economic crunch. By taking out whatever I termed as extravagant.

Let me break it down for you; I deprived the kids and their mum of the usual shopping for new clothes and gifts.

Hard times are here my brother but we are going to survive.

Nevertheless, January still came with its baggage.

Back to my December tales; It was a tug of war. I refuse to give in, to the cravings of my wife and children. I went as far as removing the basmati rice from the Christmas dish menu and replacing it with the local Nigerian rice. 

The kids so love basmati rice. 

I gave my family a speech on the need to consume made in 'Naija' rice. I got the "you dey suffer us look" from members of my beautiful family. 

I love my family, I want to give them the best of everything but I can only provide for them, in line with my present earnings. While making moves and seeking opportunities for things to get better.

I gave myself, a pat on the back for a job well done, which is; handling the finances for December 2021 like a pro. 

Feeling so cool with myself and just when I was about to relax for a bit. I was besieged with the list of items needed for school. No problem, the kids must go back to school. Education is key! Knowledge is power! I smiled to myself.

Then from nowhere came the bigger blow, the youngsters' school fees have been reviewed upwards!  

All my projections and cost-cutting came crumbling down. The reality is that, I will have to use the funds set aside to make up the new school fees. 

I am a father to four adorable kids, a set of twin boys and two adorable girls.

We decided to air our disapproval of the sudden increment in school fees. A meeting was held between the school authorities and the Parents. It, however, ended in a deadlock.

We reminded the school of what transpired at the last Parents and Teachers Association meeting (PTA). Where we pleaded with them not to increase the school fees.

Our plea is based on the fact that we all live in the same economy and things are tough.

The price of the dollar has gone berserk. Electricity tariffs and food prices have skyrocketed. 


Meanwhile, our stream of income is still the same." We insisted.

Despite our carefully articulated pleas, the school's proprietor gave an apt response to our agitation...

Her response, "We would want the fees to stay fixed, said the school proprietor. But as you all present have rightly mentioned, the economy is a stormy sea. Our rates are still very considerate compared to others and we need to consider our staffs' welfare, our utilities, our"......bla bla bla.

The truth is I had gone around town during the vacation to carry out a survey on the most likely school I would transfer my kids to. This is because I do not like unpleasant surprises. 

I felt that this consistent talk on the likelihood of a school fee increment by the school is just so annoying. I mean everyone is cash strapped at the moment. 

This is not the right time! These days, when one receives a telephone call, it is a call for help, financial assistance.  Life's basic needs, food, clothing and shelter is becoming a luxury to afford. So why increase the fees at this time?

Guess what! It turned out that the fees charged by my kids' present school, is considerably less, compared to the other schools that I visited. 

Quietly, I hoped and prayed that this talk about increasing the fees would be their usual talk. They made mention of that possibility two years ago.

Boy oh boy! At this rate, how can I save money to acquire a small piece of land for a house of my own?

I sat down trying to reorganise myself and cool off a bit by listening to the evening news. 

News of a possibility of about a One Hundred per cent increase in the pump price of petrol fills the air. 

"What da? Okay, be strong bro, be strong,"I said to myself.


Comments

  1. Brilliantly said, this article captures the present day reality. Echo blog, you guys are doing a great job. Give us more please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog for the intellectuals. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has become the present really of an average family and there seem to be no respite in sight. With God on our side,we shall overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolute summary of the truth at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are good! What a masterpiece. Echo blog all the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Type your comments here

Popular posts from this blog

In a Flash - Nigerian News Dailies

The Guardian Northern group urges Buhari to sack Emefiele, team over naira redesign. Threatens protest in North, FCT Concerned Northern Forum (CNF) has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to sack the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Dr. Godwin Emefiele, and his team within seven days over controversies trailing the plan to redesign the nation’s currency. CNF, during a press briefing at the Arewa House in Kaduna, yesterday, said failure to meet their demand would force it to stage massive protests across the Northern region and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Daily Post Floods: Bayelsa not among 10 most affected states – Humanitarian Minister, Farouq. Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq has said Bayelsa State is not among the ten most affected states by flooding, rather Jigawa, Anambra and Kogi tops the lists. The Punch ● Afenifere senior chiefs to settle Fasoranti-Adebanjo row. Leaders of the apex Yoruba socio-cu

Na Wa!

Na Wa is a Nigerian Statement Which Means Beyond Words!  Wow! Men of the Nigerian Police - constabularies, captured/seen in a street protest!  In this viral video below. Police constabularies protest over non-payment of salaries. The men purportedly protest non payment of their salaries. Right in front of the Kwara State Government House. Brave move! The Government should please resolve the issues promptly. The police is your friend they are very instrumental to the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and regulations. An Update On The News Above; The Vanguard News reports that the Police Command in Kwara has dismissed the viral video circulating above, regarding a protest by some purported policemen over alleged non-payment of one year salary. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Tuesday Assayomo, said in a statement issued by the command Spokesman, SP Ajayi Okasanmi, on Saturday in Ilorin. Assayomo added that the police was not owing the salary of any c

Breaking! A Section Of Balogun Market, Lagos Island Gutted By Fire

A section of a five-storey building in popular Balogun Market, Lagos Island was today, Tuesday gutted by fire, the cause and magnitude of the fire are yet unknown. However, emergency response units, the police, security agencies and the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), arrived at the scene of the fire and carried out a rescue operation. Substantiating the incident, Jubril Gawat, a media aide Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said: “The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service is currently attending to a Fire outbreak at the famous Balogun Market which involved the topmost floor of a five storey building. “The Fire is however under control as mitigation are on to limits it spread.”