Skip to main content

So Sad! A Shooter Murdered Three Children And Three Adults At Elementary School In Nashville, Tennessee

In the United States city of Nashville, Tennessee, three children and three adults have been killed at a Covenant School, a private Christian school for students aged three to eleven.

                                        Image Credit: The Guardian 

An ex-student of the school opened fire, in an attack which saw six people dying.

The three pupils who died were all aged nine. The child victims have been named as Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs and William Kinney.

The adult victims were named as Cynthia Peak, 61, Katherine Koonce, 60, and Mike Hill, 61.

Police said the suspect gained entry by shooting through a door at the school. A search of their home led to officers seizing more firearms.

The suspect has been identified as 28-year-old Audrey Hale, officers said.

There has been some confusion about Hale's gender identity - with police initially describing the attacker as a woman, and later saying that Hale identified as transgender.

A police spokesperson told the Washington Post that Hale "is a biological woman who, on a social media profile, used male pronouns".

The shooter was armed with three guns, including a semi-automatic rifle, and was shot dead by police.

They had left a manifesto and had drawn a detailed map of the school, with entry points. Police are now studying those documents.

Hale, who had no criminal record, was a former student at the school and officers said they believe "resentment" may have been a motive.

Police also believe that Hale had planned out other attacks, "including maybe family members and one of the malls here in Nashville and it just did not happen," Nashvile Police Chief John Drake told BBC's US news partner CBS.

A search of a nearby parked car led officers to "firmly believe" that Hale was a former student of the school, said police.

Police spoke with the attacker's father during a search of a nearby home that was listed as the shooter's address.

Nashville Police Chief John Drake said investigators there found a manifesto and "a map of how all of this was going to play out", including entry and exit points at the school building.

He also said the shooter had conducted surveillance while planning the attack.

A former middle school basketball teammate of Hale's told local news outlet NewsChannel5 that she had received an Instagram message from the shooter minutes before the attack. Hale told her about no longer wanting to live and the need to die.

"I've left behind more than enough evidence behind. But something bad is about to happen," the message stated.

In a search of the shooter's home, more weapons were recovered, in addition to the ones used in the attack, including a sawed-off shotgun and a second shotgun.

Hale's mother, Norma Hale, told ABC News: "It is very, very difficult right now", before asking for privacy.

Senior minister Clay Stauffer tearfully said that Evelyn Dieckhaus's sister, who is 11, had plans to be baptised in a few weeks, according to the local outlet the Tennessean.

Evelyn's sister cried as she said, "I don't want to be an only child."

President Joe Biden called the shooting a "family's worst nightmare".

"We have to do more to stop gun violence," he said, once again urging Congress to pass tougher gun control laws. "It is ripping our communities apart, and ripping at the very soul of this nation."

The attack was America's 129th mass shooting of 2023, according to Gun Violence Archive, a non-profit that tracks gun violence data.

According to data compiled by Education Week, there have been 12 school shootings that have resulted in deaths or injuries in the US this year up until the end of last week.

Culled from the BBC News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INEC-N305bn Required To Conduct 2023 Elections

On Monday 20th December, 2021, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), through its Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu says the commission will require N305 billion to conduct the 2023 general elections. The INEC Boss, made this known in a statement during a meeting with the Senate Committee on Appropriation at the National Assembly. This amount will facilitate the electoral process by aiding the commission to prepare for the election. It will go a long way to assist in the purchase of all the election materials needed and also cover several bye-elections across the country. The INEC Chairman noted however that the commission has already received N100 billion out of the required amount for the elections. The National Assembly is yet to receive a letter from President Muhammad Buhari on his decision to give or withdraw his assent to the Electoral Act Amendment Bill. The 30-day deadline stipulated by the constitution for the President to respond to the bill expired on Sunday...
On Thursday, the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, convicted an actress, Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin, of spraying and stepping on new Naira notes at a friend’s wedding in Lagos.                       Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin was sentenced by Chukwujekwu Aneke, the trial judge at the court proceeding, to six months’ imprisonment but with an option of N300,000 fine. A statement by Dele Oyewale, the Head, Media & Publicity of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the prosecuting agency. A video clip of Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin spraying new Naira notes at a wedding in Lekki, Lagos State, on 28 January 2023 went viral on social media platforms. Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin was arrested on 1 February 2023. Her performance was at a period that there was a severe scarcity of Naira notes following the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)’s withdrawal of old 200, 500 and 1000 Naira notes from circulation and replacement ...

Queen Elizabeth Excludes Prince Harry And Meghan Markle From The Most iconic Part Of The Jubilee Celebrations.

Queen Elizabeth broke a decades-old tradition by excluding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle from the most iconic part of the Jubilee celebrations. Only working royals will join the Queen on the balcony at Trooping the Colour this year. Non-working royals were previously allowed to attend the centuries-old event.This year, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and Prince Andrew will be unable to attend. Queen Elizabeth, broke a royal tradition by announcing that non-working royals will not appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony at the Trooping the Colour parade in June.  The parade, which takes place every year for the monarch's birthday, will celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in June, which marks her 70 years on the throne.  It is a tradition for the royal family to gather to watch a flyover by the Royal Air Force from the balcony, and in previous years non-working royals including Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie have attended. But that will not be the case this year, accord...