Skip to main content

Breaking! Seven PDP States Withdraw Suit Challenging The Declaration Of Tinubu As President-elect By The Federal Government

Seven states controlled by the Peoples Democratic Party  – namely  Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Taraba and Sokoto, which filed a suit against the Federal Government at the Supreme Court, challenging the declaration of All Progressives Congress Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as President-elect, have discontinued the suit.

In the suit which had the attorneys-general of the seven states as plaintiffs and the Attorney General of the Federation as defendant, the seven states had asked the Supreme Court to intervene in the just concluded general elections, as they claimed that the declaration of  Tinubu did not follow the Electoral Act and the Independent National Electoral Commission’s guidelines, especially the uploading of results to the IREV through the BVAS. 

They also expressed fear of a potential breakdown of public order and civil disobedience.

The Notice of Discontinuance signed by the their lawyer, Mr. Mike Ozekhome SAN  Friday, said “Take notice that the plaintiffs doth hereby wholly discontinue this suit against the defendant herein”.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INEC-N305bn Required To Conduct 2023 Elections

On Monday 20th December, 2021, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), through its Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu says the commission will require N305 billion to conduct the 2023 general elections. The INEC Boss, made this known in a statement during a meeting with the Senate Committee on Appropriation at the National Assembly. This amount will facilitate the electoral process by aiding the commission to prepare for the election. It will go a long way to assist in the purchase of all the election materials needed and also cover several bye-elections across the country. The INEC Chairman noted however that the commission has already received N100 billion out of the required amount for the elections. The National Assembly is yet to receive a letter from President Muhammad Buhari on his decision to give or withdraw his assent to the Electoral Act Amendment Bill. The 30-day deadline stipulated by the constitution for the President to respond to the bill expired on Sunday...
On Thursday, the Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, convicted an actress, Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin, of spraying and stepping on new Naira notes at a friend’s wedding in Lagos.                       Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin was sentenced by Chukwujekwu Aneke, the trial judge at the court proceeding, to six months’ imprisonment but with an option of N300,000 fine. A statement by Dele Oyewale, the Head, Media & Publicity of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the prosecuting agency. A video clip of Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin spraying new Naira notes at a wedding in Lekki, Lagos State, on 28 January 2023 went viral on social media platforms. Oluwadarasimi Omoseyin was arrested on 1 February 2023. Her performance was at a period that there was a severe scarcity of Naira notes following the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)’s withdrawal of old 200, 500 and 1000 Naira notes from circulation and replacement ...

Queen Elizabeth Excludes Prince Harry And Meghan Markle From The Most iconic Part Of The Jubilee Celebrations.

Queen Elizabeth broke a decades-old tradition by excluding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle from the most iconic part of the Jubilee celebrations. Only working royals will join the Queen on the balcony at Trooping the Colour this year. Non-working royals were previously allowed to attend the centuries-old event.This year, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and Prince Andrew will be unable to attend. Queen Elizabeth, broke a royal tradition by announcing that non-working royals will not appear on the Buckingham Palace balcony at the Trooping the Colour parade in June.  The parade, which takes place every year for the monarch's birthday, will celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in June, which marks her 70 years on the throne.  It is a tradition for the royal family to gather to watch a flyover by the Royal Air Force from the balcony, and in previous years non-working royals including Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie have attended. But that will not be the case this year, accord...