Skip to main content

Breaking! Senator Ike Ekweremadu, Wife, And A Doctor Guilty Of Organ Trafficking To The UK

Ike Ekweremadu, 60, a former deputy president of the Nigerian senate, his wife, Beatrice, 56, and Dr Obinna Obeta, 51, were found guilty of facilitating the travel of a young man to Britain with a view to his exploitation after a six-week trial at the Old Bailey.

The court found them guilty of criminally conspiring to bring the 21-year-old Lagos street trader to London to exploit him for his kidney, the jury found.

The behaviour of Ekweremadu, a successful lawyer and founder of an anti-poverty charity who helped draw up Nigeria’s laws against organ trafficking, showed “entitlement, dishonesty and hypocrisy”, Davies told the jury.

                                Ike Ekweremadu

He said Ekweremadu, who owns several properties and had a staff of 80, “agreed to reward someone for a kidney for his daughter – somebody in circumstances of poverty and from whom he distanced himself and made no inquiries, and with whom, for his own political protection, he wanted no direct contact”.

Davies added: “What he agreed to do was not simply expedient in the clinical interests of his daughter, Sonia, it was exploitation, it was criminal. It is no defence to say he acted out of love for his daughter. Her clinical needs cannot come at the expense of the exploitation of somebody in poverty.”

                            Beatrice Ekweremadu

Ekweremadu, who denied the charge, told the court he was the victim of a scam. Obeta, who also denied the charge, claimed the man was not offered a reward for his kidney and was acting altruistically. Beatrice denied any knowledge of the alleged conspiracy. Sonia did not give evidence.

WhatsApp messages showed to the court revealed Obeta charged Ekweremadu 4.5m naira (about £8,000) made up of an “agent fee” and a “donor fee”.

Ekweremadu and Obeta admitted falsely claiming the man was Sonia’s cousin in his visa application and in documents presented to the hospital.

The 21-year-old street trader from Lagos was brought to the UK last year to provide a kidney to Sonia in an £80,000 private transplant at the Royal Free Hospital in Camden, north London. He claimed he was told to pretend to be Sonia's cousin to get the transplant approved. 

But a consultant working in the NHS hospital refused to remove the vital organ having become suspicious because the young man appeared initially unaware he was the donor of the kidney and was clearly not 41 as his passport claimed. The Nigerian national would later tell police he had no idea his kidney was to be removed until he was taken to the Royal Free to meet the surgeon.

The victim, who cannot be named, later ran away, sleeping rough for three days, before walking into Staines Police Station on May 5 2022. He burst into tears as he told officers that he had been trafficked into the UK from Nigeria and that someone was trying to take one of his organs. 

The Old Bailey heard he believed he was being brought to the UK to earn money for his family. He was also taken for blood tests in Nigeria, which he believed were for his visa, but these were actually to determine if his kidney was a medically suitable match to Sonia Ekweremadu. 

The conspirators' plan was for the victim to provide a kidney to Sonia for between £2,400 and £7,000 and the promise of work in the UK. 

Beatrice and Sonia both burst into tears in the dock and hugged Ike as the unanimous verdicts were announced after 13 hours and 42 minutes.

He admitted lying on a Visa and to doctors by saying that Sonia and the donor were cousins.

He was arrested on a flight which had landed at Heathrow airport from Istanbul on 21 June 2022.

He has been in custody at HMP Thameside since his arrest.

Source UK Guardian and Daily Mail.co.uk

Comments

  1. So sad!!! This will be hard to bypass🫤🫤🫤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Type your comments here

Popular posts from this blog

Prince Charles, Prince Of Wales, Reportedly Accepted Suitcase With 1 Million Euros From Qatari Sheikh

A British newspaper, the Sunday Times, reported the Prince of Wales once accepted a suitcase containing €1 million ($1.05 million) in cash from a Qatari politician. The paper says this was one of three cash donations from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim totalling three million euros. The suitcase containing €1 million in cash was one of three lots of cash he personally received, totaling €3 million, from former Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani between 2011 and 2015.  The Sunday Times reported on one occasion, Sheikh Hamad gave Prince Charles €1 million reportedly stuffed into carrier bags from the upmarket London department store, Fortnum and Mason. On another occasion, Prince Charles accepted a duffel bag containing €1 million during a private one-on-one meeting at Clarence House in 2015, the Sunday Times reports. The Sunday Times reports the payments were deposited into the accounts of the Prince of Wales's Charitable Fund (PWCF), an entity that bankrolls ...

Travis Barker- Reason For His Hospitalization Is Disclosed: He Suffers Pancreatitis

TMZ came out with a rushed report on Travis Baker's condition, says Marca News. According to TMZ, Travis Barker who is at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, was taken to the hospital with pancreatitis and doctors believe it was caused by a colonoscopy he recently got. However, they got the facts wrong because the colon is in no way connected to the pancreas. The procedure that probably got Travis hospitalized is called a cholecystectomy, which is a similar endoscopic procedure to detect problems with the pancreas.  We asked a medical professional about this and this is what they confirmed, that Travis Barker possibly suffers gallstone pancreatitis. News Source:  Marca